This recipe, created by Azure Rountree, originally appeared in the Spring 2016 issue of Paprika Southern. We’re sharing it today on the blog to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. You can find all the other recipes that appeared in this feature–frozen margaritas, Cinco de Mayo dipped strawberries, layered Mexican dip, and a make your own taco bar–plus much more in our Spring 2016 issue.
This spring we’re dreaming of celebrations featuring big colors and bigger flavors. We created a Cinco de Mayo party that you can easily replicate this May 5, or any time of year you feel like kicking back with good friends and good food. So break out your taco Emojis, pour the margaritas and get ready to fiesta until you siesta!
"Fried" Ice Cream Recipe
- 5 cups Plain Corn Flakes (crushed)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter (1/2 cup) (cubed)
- 1 (1.75-quart) container Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen Whipped Topping (thawed & divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Honey
- Chocolate Syrup
- Maraschino Cherries
- Set out a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Let ice cream sit at room temperature for around 35 minutes.
- While the ice cream is thawing, place the corn flakes into a large container, then crush and set aside.
- In a large heavy pot and over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add corn flakes and sugar. Cook while stirring for around 5 minutes (it may take less time, watch corn flakes to make sure they don’t overcook). Place cornflakes to the side to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vanilla ice cream, half of the container of whipped topping and ground cinnamon. Stir until completely combined. Place the remaining whipped topping back in the fridge for later use.
- Spread a third of the cooked corn flakes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Drop large dollops of the ice cream mixture over the corn flakes, then spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with the remaining corn flakes. Drizzle the honey over the corn flakes.
- Cover with foil, then place in the freezer for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove and cut into squares. Top each square with chocolate syrup, a dollop of the additional whipped topping and a cherry, then serve.
We hope you enjoyed this preview of content from our Spring 2016 issue! You can find the full Fiesta Until You Siesta, plus floral-inspired fashion, an interview with encaustic artist Tobia Makover, a dreamy DIY-infused home tour and more when you order the issue today.
And don’t forget to subscribe to receive your copy of our current Spring 2017 issue, and reserve your copy of our upcoming summer issue, out in June!